Here is a recipe for air fryer chicken wings that are crispy and spicy. There is no deep fryer required, and you can cook each batch quickly for extra convenience.
When I first heard about the air fryer, my first thought was fried chicken as I was curious to find out whether it was true that you can get the same results from deep-frying food but without the oil.
The truth is, it will not taste exactly the same as deep-fried wings, however, it still tastes good, and it does not disappoint.
It will cook quickly, and the crispness will still be there, but the key is to make the chicken tender.
Overall, this is a great way to make chicken wings from starch, using your own spicy seasoning, without having to use loads of oil. You can use this same recipe to make baked chicken wings in the oven, but it will take longer.
What are air fryer hot wings?
Air fryer hot wings are simply chicken wings cooked in the air fryer which can be a healthier alternative to deep-frying chicken wings.
Air fryers use the circulation of hot air to cook food which means certain foods will cook and crisp up fast and evenly which is ideal for this type of recipe.
By using a spicy dry rub, you can turn these into hot wings – similar to the chicken shop wings.
The cook time for these air fryer chicken wings was around 15 to 18 minutes which see better results if you preheat the air fryer for longer.
You can also cook frozen chicken wings or store bought versions, and cook them in the same amount of time. This is can be ideal for those busy weeknights.
Are air fryer wings healthy?
It’s a healthier alternative to cooking chicken wings in the deep fryer because it significantly reduces the amount of cooking oil required.
Although you can cook foods in the air fryer without using oil, I would recommend using a low-calorie cooking oil which helps give these hot wings an additional juicy crispiness.
In terms of calories, these are still high in calories because they are chicken wings, and we are using flour to coat the wings.
However, for a healthier and low-calorie option, you can simply marinate the chicken wings in spices and avoid using flour.
- Chicken Wings: For this recipe, I bought 1 kg plain chicken wings from Aldi which were seasoned in the spicy rub. You can use any spicy rub of your choice, but I used a simple homemade blend.
- Dry Rub: This is required twice for the chicken wings dry rub and flour coating. I made two batches of a blend consisting of cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. For more or less spice, you would need to either add or reduce the cayenne pepper.
- Baking Powder: The key for baked chicken wings is by using a baking powder which is a way to make them more crispy and crunchy. This is notable when using an air fryer because it will crisp up very quickly.
- All-Purpose Flour: Use this for the flour coating.
- Lemon: Squeeze lemon on the chicken wings after they are made, which helps with the tenderness.
- Low-Calorie Cooking Spray: You can totally cook these without oil, but there is no harm is using a few sprays of oil on the chicken wings to add more crispness.
Air Fryer Hot Wings Calories
The calories for this recipe are around 561 kcal per serving which is from a large pack of chicken wings coated with all-purpose flour and spices.
How long to marinate the chicken wings?
In the video above, it shows how to make the chicken wings, but you might be wondering how long you should marinate the chicken for? I only left it in the fridge for an hour and that was enough time. However, this is optional and you can just simply follow the method you prefer.
The ideal air fryer chicken wings cooking time?
You will need to cook these in batches which depends on the total of chicken wings you are planning to make.
It should not take no longer than 15 to 18 minutes but the key is to preheat your air fryer for 10 minutes on 200°C / 400°F.
However, it might depend on your air fryer model, so do let me know in the comments if your cooking time was shorter or longer.
Air Fryer Spicy Chicken Wings
- 1 kg Chicken Wings
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 Lemon squeezed
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil Spray low calorie
Spicy Seasoning (Make one each for chicken and flour)
- 1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat the air fryer on 200°C or 400°F.
- Add to your mixing bowl the chicken wings and spicy seasoning. Massage for several minutes.
- To another bowl, add the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and spicy seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Spray your air fryer basket with low-calorie oil and prepare one batch at a time for best results. Coat the chicken wings in the flour, generously, and place in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 15 minutes but turn the wings half way through.
- Once cooked, remove the first batch and add the second batch (and follow step 5 again).
- Serve and enjoy
- Depending on your air fryer, cooking times will vary but 15 to 18 minutes should be enough time per batch.
- Use a low-calorie cooking oil
Hey, I’m Mani and I started Spicy Meal Prep to help you prepare and cook healthy meals that have an extra kick of flavor! Whether you’re a busy worker looking to save time or a fitness enthusiast looking for meal planning inspiration, you will find recipes and cooking tips here to help you thrive in the kitchen!