Here is a recipe for air fryer chicken wings which are crispy and spicy. There is no deep fryer required and you can cook each batch quickly for extra convenience.
When I first heard about the air fryer, my first thought was fried chicken as I was curious to find out whether it was true that you can get the same results from deep frying food but without the oil.
The truth is, it will not taste exactly the same, however it still tastes good and it does not disappoint. It will cook properly and the crispness will still be there but the key is to make the chicken tender.
Overall, this is a great way to make chicken wings from starch, using your own spicy seasoning, without having to use loads of oil. You can use this same recipe to make baked chicken wings in the oven, but it will take longer.
The cook time for these air fryer chicken wings was around 15 to 18 minutes which see better results if you preheat the air fryer for longer.
You can also cook frozen chicken wings or store bought versions, and cook them in the same amount of time. This is can be ideal for those busy weeknights.
How to make chicken wings in the air fryer?
1) Main ingredients
- Chicken Wings: For this recipe I bought 1kg plain chicken wings which were seasoned in the spicy rub. You can use any spicy rub of your choice but I used a simple homemade blend.
- Spicy Seasoning: I used this twice for the chicken wings dry rub and flour coating. I made two batches of a blend consisting of cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. For more or less spice, you would need to either add or reduce the cayenne pepper.
- Baking Powder: The key for baked chicken wings is by using baking powder which is a way to make them more crispy and crunchy. This is notable when using an air fryer because they will crisp up very quickly.
- All-Purpose Flour: Use this for the flour coating.
- Lemon: Squeeze lemon on the chicken wings after they are made, which helps with the tenderness.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray: You can totally cook these without oil, but there is no harm is using a few sprays of oil (I used extra virgin olive oil) on the chicken wings to add more crispness.
View more air fryer recipes >>>Print
Crispy and spicy chicken wings made in the air fryer. That is right! No deep frying in oil required.
- 1kg Chicken Wings
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
Spicy Seasoning (make one each for chicken and flour)
- 1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat your air fryer for 5-10 minutes on 200c / 400f.
- Add to your mixing bowl the chicken wings and spicy seasoning. Stir to combine.
- To another bowl, add the all-purpose flour, baking powder and spicy seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Spray your air fryer basket with oil and prepare one batch at a time for best results. Coat the chicken wings in the flour, generously, and place in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 15 minutes but turn the wings half way through.
- Once cooked, remove the first batch and add the second batch (and follow step 5 again).
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: Air fryer chicken wings
Frequently asked questions
How long to marinate the chicken wings?
In the video above, it shows how to make the chicken wings, but you might be wondering how long you should marinate the chicken for? I only left it in the fridge for an hour and that was enough time. However, this is optional and you can just simply follow the method you prefer.
The ideal air fryer chicken wings cooking time?
You will need to cook these in batches which depends on the total of chicken wings you are planning to make.
It should not take no longer than 15 to 18 minutes but the key is to preheat your air fryer for 10 minutes on 200°C / 400°F.
However, it might depend on your air fryer model, so do let me know in the comments if your cooking time was shorter or longer.