This tasty and quick beetroot hummus recipe will be your new go-to appetizer, which is perfect to prepare for the week ahead.
Even if you’re not a fan of beets, this recipe may convert you because it’s a very tasty dip that is perfect for any meze table. It can also be a healthy spread for flatbread or sandwiches.
What Is Beetroot Hummus?
Beetroot hummus is a tasty, healthy, and beautiful-looking dip that is essentially roasted beet and tahini that is perfect for any meze table.
It’s very popular in Lebanese, Middle Eastern and Syrian cuisine, which is often garnished with olive oil and herbs.
It’s also known as mutabbal shamandar which translates to beet and tahini dip that pairs well with flatbread.
This recipe is great to make-ahead for the week because you can simply keep it stored in an airtight container and serve it on your dinner table.
Beetroot hummus is also a popular recipe during the spring and summer because it’s at its best and very sweet, which makes a delicious dip.
There are many variations of the beetroot hummus recipe, however the key ingredients are:
- Roasted Beetroot
- Roasted Chickpeas
- Olive Oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste.
This recipe can also be garnished with:
- Olive Oil
- Without Tahini: You can eliminate tahini for this recipe if you wish because the flavor from the beetroot is very strong alone. You can add water to thin out the hummus if you wish also.
Tips & Tricks
- To make this faster: you can simply use canned chickpeas, and you can buy vacuum-packed cooked beets. This will save plenty of time because you can simply blend all the ingredients.
Can you freeze beetroot hummus?
We don’t recommend freezing beetroot hummus because it will dramatically affect the texture and taste once thawed. It’s best to keep it stored in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
How long does beetroot hummus last in the fridge?
Fresh or homemade beetroot hummus can last up to 4 to 5 days in the fridge, but you must use an airtight container. It’s great for meal prep for the week ahead.
Beetroot Hummus Recipe
- 2 Medium Cooked Beetroot
- 1 can Chickpeas drained
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- 2 Garlic Cloves crushed
- 2-3 tbsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Salt to taste
Blend All Ingredients
- Add the beetroot, chickpeas, and garlic to your food processor. Blend until fully combined, for 1 minute.
- Add the tahini, olive oil, salt, and lemon juice to your food processor. Blend until fully creamy.
- Depending on your preferred texture, you may need to add slightly more tahini and olive oil to make it more creamy.
- Transfer to an airtight container and use within 4-5 days
- This recipe uses cooked beets that are vacuum-packed from the supermarket. This eliminates the time it takes to roast.
- You may need to add slightly more tahini and olive oil, depending on how creamy you prefer your hummus.
Spicy Meal Prep is a food blog and resource for busy people and home cooks around the world. What started as a solo blog has now turned into a website of healthy recipes and home cooking tips written by home cooks, chefs and nutritionists around the world. Our mission is to make healthy cooking easy, with realistic recipes that you will actually cook and balanced meals that you can fit into your meal plan.