If you are looking for a quick dinner idea, which is packed with flavour, you need to give this cheesy chicken buffalo pasta a try.
This is essentially a thick, creamy and spicy pasta sauce made from red-hot buffalo-wing sauce, cream cheese and more cheese!
It certainly has a kick and plenty of heat to it but if you love spicy food, you will no doubt enjoy this.
The good news is that chicken buffalo pasta is also a fantastic meal prep recipe and it keeps so well that it tastes better the next day.
It can be a fun way to prep chicken breasts too because this is high in protein and can be great if you are looking for a post-gym meal.
Why you will love this chicken buffalo pasta recipe?
- Quick weeknight dinner idea (you can prep the sauce to save more time).
- Easy ingredients to work with.
- Full of flavour.
- High protein.
- Good pasta recipe if you want to bulk (I will also show you ways to reduce the calories at the bottom of this post).
If you like pasta recipes, why not try:
- High Protein Cottage Cheese Pasta
- Healthy Chicken Shish Kebab Meal Prep
- Chicken Burrito Bowl Meal Prep
How to make chicken buffalo pasta?
1) Main ingredients
- Spicy Chicken Breasts: Seasoned with cayenne pepper powder, these cooked chicken breasts are a great source of lean protein. However, you could use chicken thighs or another main ingredient to go with the buffalo cheesy sauce and pasta. Chicken breasts are very lean which is why I prefer to use it with a cheesy pasta recipe for balance.
- Buffalo Cheese Sauce: The best feature of this recipe is this amazing buffalo cheesy sauce. This is a mixture of onion, garlic, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, white wine vinegar and red-hot buffalo wings sauce. You can substitute the cheese for your favourite types, which is important to note.
- Pasta: Use your preferred pasta and add it to the cheesy sauce once cooked.
1) To make the cheesy buffalo sauce, mix together onion, garlic, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, white wine vinegar and red-hot buffalo wings sauce. You can also prep this spicy pasta sauce and save time on weeknights by adding it to cooked chicken and pasta.
2) Add the cooked chicken and pasta, then it is ready to serve or meal prep. The chicken was seasoned with cayenne pepper and I used standard pasta, but there are so many variations you can come up with for this recipe. If you do not eat chicken, you can add tofu blocks instead.
3) storage and reheat
To prep and reheat the whole chicken buffalo pasta dish, use quality meal prep container and keep them stored in the fridge up to 3-4 days and reheat it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, until piping hot. I have tried this for my meal prep and it tastes great each time. The spices and addition of the vinegar, make it taste even better when you eat this as leftovers.
You can freeze this chicken buffalo pasta recipe up to 1 month, and allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, until piping hot.
You can also use this recipe to just make the buffalo cheesy pasta sauce, which you can store in a mason jar, to keep stored in the fridge for 3-5 days. This is a great way to reducing time and cooking a quick weeknight dinner.Print
Quick, easy and cheesy chicken buffalo pasta recipe which has plenty of flavour and can be a great way to meal prep for the week-ahead.
- 640g Chicken Breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper Powder
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 150g Pasta
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Buffalo Cheesy Pasta Sauce
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 3 Garlic Clove, minced
- 170g Cream Cheese
- 170g Cheddar Cheese, or your preferred cheese
- 1 Cup Buffalo Wings Sauce
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- Chopped Cilinatro
- Cook the pasta, by adding fresh pasta to hot water in a medium-high heated saucepan. Add a drop of extra virgin olive oil and salt to taste.
- In a separate medium-high heated saucepan, prep the sauce by adding extra virgin olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, buffalo wings sauce and red wine vinegar. Stir to combine, reduce heat and simmer. Keep stirring until it reaches a smooth texture (if you want, add water).
- Prep the seasoned chicken by cooking it your preferred way and cutting it into bite-sized chunks.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the buffalo sauce. Add the cooked chicken to the sauce also.
- Stir to combine and cook for a further 5 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Top up with cilantro or toppings of your choice.
- For meal prep, store in fridge up to 3-4 days.
- You can freeze this up to 1 month.
- You can prep the sauce for 3-5 days.
- Category: Main course
- Method: One-pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 676 kcal
- Sugar: 6.1 g
- Sodium: 2207.6 mg
- Fat: 30.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 17.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.8 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 66.3 g
- Cholesterol: 98.7 mg
Keywords: chicken buffalo pasta recipe, cheesy chicken buffalo pasta, easy buffalo chicken pasta
Frequently asked questions
I am vegetarian, what can I substitute the chicken with?
Great question, you can easily enjoy this recipe without chicken but I would suggest something like spicy tofu.
How many calories are in buffalo chicken pasta?
In this recipe post, each serving of the buffalo chicken pasta is 676 kcal. This may seem high which is because of the cheese, pasta and chicken but this is because it is split into 4 servings.
How can I reduce the number of calories?
The biggest culprit is the cheddar cheese. Reduce that and the calories should be around 450 kcal per serving. You could also slightly reduce the amount of cream cheese. Or you could portion control this recipe into 6 servings to lower the calories.
How to make this recipe less spicy?
If you like the sound of this recipe but do not want it to be too spicy, you can season the chicken with paprika powder rather than cayenne pepper powder and use less red-hot buffalo wings sauce.
I don’t have cayenne pepper, What else can I season the chicken with?
You can season it with anything simple from salt and black pepper, to something with more flavour and spice like paprika. If you are looking for spices, check out spice kitchen or check out the international section of your local supermarket for hot spices.
I don’t have red-hot buffalo wings sauce, what else can I use?
You will need to use a red-hot chilli sauce, which you should be able to find in a supermarket.