Is it possible to enjoy a kebab without feeling guilty? This macro-friendly version of a chicken shish kebab salad bowl may be the answer you are looking for!
You can use this recipe to meal prep a kebab for the week-ahead which is low in calories and very low-carb which is also a keto-friendly recipe.
This is exactly what I done and wanted to share how easy this really is.
You can also use this recipe as a make-ahead ingredient to save time preparing a real kebab on a weeknight by simply reheating the chicken and adding all the ingredients to your freshly cooked wrap or naan bread.
How to make chicken shish kebab?
1) Main INGREDIENTS
Chicken Breasts: I tend to advise that one chicken breast will be enough for one kebab but it does depend on where you buy them from as they come in different shapes and sizes these days!
Yogurt: They key for this marinade starts with the Greek or natural yogurt which is to be combined with the spices.
Spices: I add paprika and red chili flakes to my mixing bowl which is a neutral spice for the shish kebab. If you want more spice, I would recommend adding a green chilli to a mini food processor with the garlic and ginger paste.
Tomato Purée: Also to the mixing bowl I will add tomato purée which balances out the marinade. However, you can leave this out if you want.
Combine all ingredients: This recipe is fairly simple and is not as difficult as it looks. You simply combine all the main ingredients into your mixing bowl and allow it to marinate.
Marinate time: For the best results, I would recommend allowing the chicken to marinate overnight or at least 4 hours. However, if you are in a rush or do not have the time, then 1 hour in the fridge should be okay. If you are using bamboo skewers, allow them to soak in water too.
Heat on griddle pan: I cooked these chicken shish kebabs on the griddle pan but you can also use an oven or of course the BBQ grill. If you are using any of these methods, ensure it is pre-heated because ideally you would want to cook these kebabs 5 minutes on each side.
Meal prep: I like this recipe because it is a great meal prep with a salad bowl and tzatziki sauce. This keeps it low-carb and lower in calories too compared to a kebab wrap.
To keep it low-carb: This recipe is a low-carb variation of a kebab, which is essentially a naked kebab, similar to how I made a naked burger and naked burrito. The aim is to eliminate the wrap which can help reduce calories and allow you to enjoy one of your favourite recipes without feeling guilty.
Make-ahead ingredient for a kebab: You can use this recipe to make a chicken shish salad bowl which you can reheat and add it to a freshly cooked kebab wrap or naan bread if you prefer. Squeeze lemon juice over it and it will taste super fresh!Print
Meal prep your chicken shish kebabs with your favourite salad and kebab sauce to enjoy a high protein and low-carb lunch during the summer months. There is no BBQ grill required for this recipe.
- 2 Chicken Breasts (cut into bite-size chunks)
- 100g Greek / Plain Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 1 tbsp Tomato Purée
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Garlic and Ginger Paste
- 1/2 Lemon (juiced)
- 1/2 tsp Salt and Black Pepper
- Mixed Salad
- Tzatziki Sauce
- If you are using bamboo skewers, ensure you allow them to soak in water for at least an hour before using the grill.
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
- Add to your mixing bowl: the chicken breasts, garlic and ginger paste, olive oil, yogurt, paprika, red chilli flakes, tomato purée, lemon juice and salt and pepper,
- Stir to combine your chicken marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (for best results 4-6 hours, or overnight).
- Pre-heat your griddle pan on high heat.
- Take each marinated chicken piece and thread it on your bamboo or metal skewer.
- Once your skewers are ready, lightly season with salt and add them onto your griddle pan.
- Cook each side for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve with salad and tzatziki sauce.
- For meal prep purposes, refrigerate up to 4 days and remove chicken pieces from skewer before reheating.
- For the best taste, allow the chicken to marinate for longer.
- Prep time excludes allowing chicken marinade to refrigerate.
- Ensure bamboo skewers are soaked before cooking.
- Nutritional information reflects chicken shish kebab only.
- Category: Main course
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 228 kcal
- Sugar: 1.8 g
- Sodium: 1351 mg
- Fat: 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.4 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 32 g
- Cholesterol: 65 mg
Keywords: Chicken Shish Kebab, Chicken Shish Kebab Meal Prep, Chicken Shish Kebab Salad