The chicken shish kebab recipe is a popular fast food and takeout option, but here is a homemade version which you can cook on the grill and enjoy with a healthy salad.
You can also use this recipe to meal prep a chicken salad bowl for the week which will be high in protein and low in fat.
This is exactly what I done and wanted to share how easy this really is.
Why you will love this chicken shish kebab recipe?
- Low in calories and high in protein.
- Can enjoy eating this guilt-free with portion control.
- You can eat this hot or cold which is ideal for meal prep.
- Tastes just like what you order from a kebab shop.
How to make chicken shish kebab?
1) Main INGREDIENTS
Chicken Breasts: Using lean meat like chicken breast is a great way to keep this shish kebab recipe healthy and high in protein. These need to be cut into bite sized chunks. Cooked chicken breasts are great to eat hot or cold which makes it a batch cooking friendly ingredient.
Yogurt Marinade: The key for this marinade starts with natural yogurt which is to be combined with the spices, lemon juice and tomato purée. I add paprika and red chili flakes to my mixing bowl which is the main spice for the chicken shish kebab recipe. Therefore, the marinade is fairly straightforward and you should keep it stored in the fridge for at least 2 to 4 hours.
Combine all ingredients: This recipe is fairly simple. You simply combine the chicken breast chunks and yogurt marinade. This will give it plenty of flavor.
Marinate time: For the best results, I would recommend allowing the chicken to marinate overnight or at least 2 to 4 hours. However, if you are in a rush or do not have the time, then 1 hour in the fridge should be okay. If you are using bamboo skewers, allow them to soak in water too.
3) How to cook
Grill or griddle pan: This is one of those perfect recipes for the summer because chicken shish kebabs tastes best once cooked on a BBQ grill. However, you can use a griddle pan all year round if you have one, which is a nice alternative, especially in the winter months. If you are using chicken breasts, you only need to cook these kebabs for around 10 to 12 minutes on a well heated grill for the perfect balance of ensuring it is fully cooked and not too dry.
Oven: You can also bake these kebabs in the oven but ensure it is preheated and cook it for around 15 to 18 minutes.
Meal prep: Use an air-tight meal prep container to keep it stored in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. I like this recipe because it is a great meal prep with a salad bowl and tzatziki sauce. This keeps it low-carb and lower in calories too compared to a kebab wrap.
If you plan to meal prep the chicken shish kebab, I would recommend eating the chicken cold because reheating chicken breasts in the microwave can dry it out.
How to freeze: You can freeze the chicken shish kebab for up to 3 months by using an air-tight storage container.
Chicken Shish Kebab Salad Bowls
- 2 Chicken Breasts cut into bite-size chunks
- 100 g Natural Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Paprika Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 1 tbsp Tomato Purée
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Bamboo Skewers either bamboo or metal
- If you are using bamboo skewers, ensure you allow them to soak in water for at least an hour before using the grill or oven.
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
- Add to your mixing bowl: the chicken breasts, garlic and ginger paste, olive oil, yogurt, paprika, red chilli flakes, tomato purée, lemon juice and salt and pepper,
- Stir to combine your chicken marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (for best results 4-6 hours, or overnight).
- Pre-heat your griddle pan on high heat.
- Take each marinated chicken piece and thread it on your bamboo or metal skewer.
- Once your skewers are ready, lightly season with salt and add them onto your griddle pan.
- Cook each side for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve with pitta bread, salad and tzatziki sauce.
- For meal prep purposes, refrigerate up to 4 days and remove chicken pieces from skewer before reheating.
- For the best taste, allow the chicken to marinate for longer.
- Prep time excludes allowing chicken marinade to refrigerate.
- Ensure bamboo skewers are soaked before cooking.
- Nutritional information reflects chicken shish kebab only.
Frequently asked questions
What is chicken shish kebab?
Chicken shish is grilled cubes of meat on a skewer which has been marinated in a yogurt featuring some spices, lemon and tomato. It is a much healthier alternative to other shish kebabs because this recipe uses chicken breasts which is lean meat.
Is chicken shish kebab healthy?
It is generally healthy and you can even eat it with a salad. It is similar to how the naked burrito is made healthy but eliminating the pitta bread. However, there is nothing wrong or unhealthy by eating a pitta bread or wrap with this kebab, but it just reduces the calories.
What is it best served with?
Chicken shish kebab is best served with a pitta bread and salad, topped up with a tzatziki sauce or chilli sauce. However, you can serve it “naked” with a salad which is how I sometimes meal prep it for work.
How many calories in this chicken shish kebab recipe?
According to my estimations from MyFitnessPal, for the chicken kebab only, each serving is 228 calories (kcal) which is very light and low. Serving it with a salad keeps that low but can help you to feel fuller. Serving this with a pitta bread and sauce will increase the calories but it will not be too high.
Hey, I’m Mani and I started Spicy Meal Prep to help you prepare and cook healthy meals that have an extra kick of flavor! Whether you’re a busy worker looking to save time or a fitness enthusiast looking for meal planning inspiration, you will find recipes and cooking tips here to help you thrive in the kitchen!