Scones are well-loved baked goods often served with a cup of tea, jam, and clotted cheese. They are very popular in the UK and are often the main highlight of afternoon tea.
They are also delicious and comforting for breakfast which is why you can either buy prepackaged scones or make freshly baked scones.
However, what if you wanted to make a large batch of scones and freeze the leftovers. Can you freeze scones? The good news is that you can freeze all types of scones, but it’s essential to understand the correct times when you are planning to freeze baked scones or unbaked scones.
You can freeze baked scones for 3 months in the freezer, and you can instantly reheat them in the microwave or oven. Unbaked scones can only keep well for 3 weeks in the freezer and need to go straight into the baking oven.
What Are Scones?
Scones are baked goods that originate in the United Kingdom and are often one of the main highlights of afternoon tea, a British tradition that you can experience in many London hotels.
Typically, scones are lightly sweetened and may be glazed with an egg wash, so they often look golden and beautiful.
How to freeze scones?
You can freeze leftover scones for up to 3 months which should be done correctly for best results.
The same principle applies if you are planning to batch cook scones which can be a way to save time, save money and prevent food wastage.
The key to freezing and defrosting scones is by removing as much air as possible when you keep it stored.
You can use an air-tight container or freezer bag which can depend on the quantity you’re planning to freeze.
To freeze baked scones, simply:
- Transfer the baked scones into an air-tight container or freezer bag.
- If you are using a freezer bag, ensure you remove as much air from the bag as possible.
- Store in the freezer and keep them flat.
To defrost baked scones, you have several options:
- Instant Microwave: This is the best way to save time and the go-to method if you’re in a rush in the morning. To defrost the scones in the microwave, choose the low defrost setting because that will allow them to thaw properly and reheat completely.
- Thaw: This is the best method if you have time and at home. Simply allow the frozen baked scones to thaw for an hour in a bowl. It shouldn’t take long for them to defrost and after an hour, you can reheat the scones in the microwave or oven. Or you can thaw in the fridge overnight which is a great method if you plan to reheat scones the next morning.
Should you Freeze Scones Cooked or Uncooked?
It’s perfectly fine to freeze cooked or uncooked scones but if you had to make a choice, it ultimately depends on your preference in terms of flavor, time, and convenience.
Baked scones are already cooked and will take less time to reheat which can be a great way to save time. For example, if you prefer to eat breakfast on the go and reheat food instantly, baked scones will be your go-to choice.
However, reheated cooked scones will not taste as fresh compared to freezing uncooked scones. This is why they are the better option if you don’t want to compromise on taste.
How to freeze unbaked scones?
Freezing unbaked scones is a great way to save time if you regularly cook scones that will still taste as fresh and delicious.
Here is how you freeze unbaked scones:
- Line your baking tray with parchment paper and place the scones on top in a single layer.
- Store the scones in the freezer for 1 -2 hours. You will know when they are perfectly frozen once they are rock hard.
- Transfer the frozen scones to an air-tight container or freezer bag. Ensure you allow them enough space.
- Label the container or the plastic bag with the date.
- Use the uncooked scones within 3 weeks.
How Long Can You Keep Scones in the Freezer?
The longevity of the scone will depend on how you keep it stored in the first place, and the key is to use an airtight container or freezer bag.
- You can freeze baked scones for up to 3 months.
- You can freeze unbaked scones for 3 weeks.