If you are wondering what all the fuss is about Nando’s style spicy rice, give this recipe a go! During the lockdown, Nando’s released their official rice recipe which you can easily replicate in your kitchen.
This goes well with spicy chicken and is great to meal prep as a make-ahead ingredient.
Nandos style spicy rice recipe
Basmati Rice: I always choose basmati rice and it is perfect for this recipe because it is long-grain and fluffy which soaks up the spices.
Spices: The main spices to use are turmeric, cayenne pepper and paprika.
Chopped Tomatoes: I add half a can of chopped tomatoes which mixes well with the onion, garlic, rice and spices. Rather than using chicken or vegetable stock, you can use chopped tomatoes and simply add a cup of water.
Bell Peppers: You can use any type of bell pepper because they all go well with this spicy rice recipe. I just chopped a large green bell pepper but you can add more if you prefer.
Lemon Juice: Once this is all cooked, add lemon or lime juice as this is the killer finishing touch!
Half cook the rice: This would be a one-pot recipe but I prefer to cook the rice for 10 minutes in boiled water as this will half cook it on standby.
Combine all ingredients: Whilst the rice is simmering in boiled water, you can start to saute the onions and garlic, followed by cooking the bell pepper and adding the spices with the tomato sauce. By the time this is done your rice will be ready to throw in your large saucepan and you can simply combine all the ingredients. Cover and allow it to slow cook.
Food storage: For the safety of storing rice, I would recommend reading advice from NHS, and follow the two-hour rule of allowing the rice to cool down. Personally, I have stored this in the fridge for up to 4 days with no problem but I advise 3 days to be on the safe side.
How To Make Nandos Style Spicy Rice
- 200 g Basmati Rice
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Onion finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves finely chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 Cannned Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Prepare your rice but adding to a saucepan of boiled water. Half cook it for 8-10 minutes and drain out the water.
- In your pre-heated large pan, add the olive oil, and then add the onions and sauté for three minutes.
- Add the garlic, bell pepper, turmeric, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt. Stir until fragrant.
- Add the half-cooked rice, chopped tomatoes and 1 cup of water. Stir to combine, cover, reduce heat and allow to cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from cover, stir to combine and add the lemon juice.
- Serve with spicy chicken or your favourite protein source.
- For meal prep purposes, refrigerate up to 3 days and read here about storing rice.
Hey, I’m Mani and I started Spicy Meal Prep to help you prepare and cook healthy meals that have an extra kick of flavor! Whether you’re a busy worker looking to save time or a fitness enthusiast looking for meal planning inspiration, you will find recipes and cooking tips here to help you thrive in the kitchen!