Popcorn is an amazing and versatile snack that can be enjoyed at the movies, at work, or at home which is super crunchy, light, and tasty.
It’s one snack which also divides opinions: do you prefer it sweet or salty?
Nevertheless, popcorn is often bought or made in bulk which is great for sharing but what if you have leftovers? Can you reheat popcorn? Yes, the good news is you can reheat popcorn which is why this can also be a fantastic meal prep snack for work if you are looking for something lighter and satisfying.
There are many popcorn recipes which is why it’s worth knowing the best steps for reheating popcorn and how long you can keep in stored.
The Best way to reheat popcorn
Although you do not need to reheat popcorn and just eat the leftovers the next day straight from the bag, you can reheat popcorn if you prefer to eat it warm.
Some popcorn recipes are worth reheating, like caramel popcorn, because it tastes much better and comforting when it’s hot.
The two best ways to reheat popcorn are by using the microwave or oven which are safe, quick, and convenient.
As a result, if you love meal prepping snacks for work, you can make a batch of popcorn and reheat it in the microwave during your break.
How to reheat popcorn in the microwave
The quickest and most convenient way to reheat popcorn is by using the microwave which takes less than a minute. Here is how it works:
- Transfer the popcorn to a microwave-safe bowl or container.
- Cover the bowl or container with a microwave cover.
- Microwave for 30 seconds.
- Stir and microwave again for 10 seconds.
- Serve immediately.
How to reheat popcorn in the oven
You can also use an oven which takes a little longer compared to the microwave.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C / 300°F.
- Transfer and spread the popcorn on a baking tray.
- Bake the popcorn for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
The best way to store popcorn
If you’re planning to make a large batch of popcorn for meal prep or save the leftovers, the key to keeping your popcorn fresh is how to keep it stored which helps prevent it from drying out.
Unlike most meal prep recipes, you do not need to keep the popcorn stored in the refrigerator. In fact, storing the popcorn in a chilled zone will dry it out which will not taste good when reheated.
As a result, you should keep the popcorn stored in room temperature which you can eat or reheat at any time.
Here is what to do:
- Store the popcorn in an airtight container or ziplock bag.
- Try not to leave in a cool dark place. It’s best on the open counter and not closed in a cupboard.
- Seal storage method tightly to prevent drying.
- Store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Can you freeze popcorn?
Yes, you can also freeze popcorn for up to 3 months but do ensure you use an air-tight freezer bag because you would ideally want to remove as much air as possible.
The good news is that the popcorn won’t taste stale when you take it out of the freezer, and you don’t need to wait around to thaw or defrost it before reheating the popcorn.
Here is how you freeze popcorn:
- Transfer the popcorn into a freezer bag or air-tight container.
- If you’re using a freezer bag, ensure you keep it tightly sealed to remove as much air as possible (this is the key to keeping the popcorn fresh, even when you freeze it).
- Label and date the freezer bag or container.
- Store popcorn in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Hey, I’m Mani and I started Spicy Meal Prep to help you prepare and cook healthy meals that have an extra kick of flavor! Whether you’re a busy worker looking to save time or a fitness enthusiast looking for meal planning inspiration, you will find recipes and cooking tips here to help you thrive in the kitchen!