Indian-style tofu scramble that will most certainly spice up your morning. Goes great with a flatbread or toast, and can be ideal to quickly reheat on weekdays when you are busy in the mornings.
How to make tofu scramble indian style?
This recipe is a vegan version of the egg bhuji that is usually made with scrambled egg, or the paneer bhuji that is made with shredded paneer cheese.
The key to all these recipes are the spices and this version will still taste familiar.
The key spices are:
- Turmeric Powder
- Red Chilli Powder
- Cumin Powder
- Garam Masala
I also added red bell pepper because it goes well with this recipe and it is a good opporunity to throw in extra vegetables in this tofu scramble.
Is this a breakfast recipe?
Although it looks and sounds like a breakfast recipe, you can realistically eat this at any time of the day whether it is for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner.
In my opinion, this Indian style tofu scramble would also be a good side dish to go with other recipes or buffet style dinners.
It also goes well with a flatbread or naan because the spices can be overwhelming if you are just eating the tofu scramble alone.Print
Here is an Indian-style tofu scramble that will most certainly spice up your mornings and is very low in calories. This goes great with roti or toast, and can be ideal to quickly reheat on weekdays when you are busy in the mornings. Not to mention, it can be a great alternative for eggs or paneer, which is ideal for vegans.
- 400g Organic Tofu (pressed, drained and scrambled)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (finely, sliced)
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Lemon (juice)
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Chopped Cilantro / Coriander
- Drain and press the tofu to remove moisture.
- In a mixing bowl, use a fork or your hands to scramble the tofu into smaller pieces.
- Pre-heat your saucepan and set on medium-high heat.
- Add the coconut oil, followed by the onion and garlic.
- After 3 minutes, add the red bell pepper and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the spices: turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and garam masala. Stir to combine.
- Add the scrambled tofu to the pan and stir again.
- Continue to cook for 8-10 minutes by covering the pan and reduce the heat.
- Remove cover and give it a final stir.
- Add the squeezed lemon juice and cilantro/coriander.
- For meal prep purposes, refrigerate up to four to five days. Reheat for 1 minute in the microwave.
- If you feel it is getting too dry whilst cooking then add half a cup of water.
- Tastes best when consumed with toast or flatbread.
- Category: Meal Prep Breakfast
- Method: One-Pot
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 158
- Sugar: 4.2 g
- Sodium: 11.4 mg
- Fat: 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.7 g
- Fiber: 1.7 g
- Protein: 13.5 g
Keywords: Indian Vegan Tofu Scramble