Enjoy this fresh and tasty low-carb chicken fajitas bowl with melted cheese, avocado, and lime.
This tastes absolutely delicious in the hot summer months and is a great meal prep recipe for the week ahead. Ideal if you want a light or healthy low-carb meal.
Alternatively, you can prep this to save time on weeknights!
What are low carb chicken fajitas?
Low-carb chicken fajitas is simply a way to eliminate the tortilla to keep it low-carb and keto-friendly. There’s plenty of flavor in this chicken fajitas bowl which is perfect for meal prep as you can eat this for lunch at work or reheat for a quick dinner.
Although there’s nothing wrong with carbs like tortillas or wraps, it can be a clever way to meal prep these recipes and turn them into high protein salads. If you happen to be on a low-carb diet, these recipes can help you with your meal plan and keep you feeling full.
This recipe is quick and easy, just follow the instructions below, and you will love this, especially during the hot summer months.
Recipe ingredients & substitutions
- Chicken Thighs: As this is a low-carb recipe, which also is good for the keto diet, the best chicken is thighs which have more fat and is the tastiest. You can use chicken breasts which are leaner but will require more freshly squeezed lime when served. If you’re looking for a plant-based substitution, you could opt for tofu.
- Fajita Seasoning & Marinade: If you regularly cook chicken fajitas, you can buy a seasoning blend, however the recipe card at the bottom of this page lists how to make your own fajitas seasoning at home. Extra virgin olive oil and lime are also included in the marinade.
- Bell Peppers: These are super healthy and smell amazing when grilled. They also help you feel full which is great for low-carb recipes because it’s packed with fiber and various vitamins. This recipe also uses grilled onions which help with flavor and the perfect aroma.
- Avocado: Serve fresh avocado with this low-carb chicken fajita bowl, and it can help you feel full.
- Cheese: It’s fine to add plenty of cheese, especially if you’re on a low-carb or keto diet.
- Lime: Use plenty of it for the marinade and keep it aside to squeeze over when you reheat this fajita bowl.
How to make low carb chicken fajitas?
It’s very straightforward and could be done in one-pan or instant pot. Simply cook the marinaded chicken and vegetables.
The method I chose was using the air fryer for the chicken and griddle pan for the vegetables because it’s quick and efficient, but also a tasty way to prep this recipe!
The chicken thighs will cook to perfection in the air fryer in 15 – 20 minutes, while the bell peppers and onions will be nicely cooked in the meantime. In under 30 minutes, this recipe is done, which is ideal for meal prep or a quick weeknight dinner.
Marinate the chicken first with the fajita seasoning.
There are many ways to cook chicken thighs, we chose the air fryer.
Within 20 minutes it’s cooked to perfection without any monitoring.
Chop the chicken into pieces. You can divide the portions for meal prep or dinner.
Use a griddle pan to cook the bell peppers and onions. It will taste amazing.
This low-carb chicken fajitas recipe is perfect for meal prep because it’s very healthy, tasty and can help you with your low-carb or keto diet.
Alternatively, you can just prep these bowls and cook fresh tortilla on the night you plan to eat these which will save you time. You have plenty of options!
- What to serve with low-carb chicken fajitas? To keep it low-carb and keto-friendly, you can serve it with cauliflower rice or low-carb tortillas. You can also add plenty of cheese and avocado.
- Keep the chicken marinated for at least 4 hours.
- Need a plant-based version? No problem, you can use tofu but ensure you squeeze and drain it, make it dry as possible, and fry or bake it.
Frequently asked questions
Can you reheat chicken fajitas?
Yes, it’s fine to reheat this low-carb chicken fajita bowl. Keep it stored in the fridge for 3-4 days and squeeze lime over it to keep it fresh.
Can you freeze this chicken fajita bowl?
Yes, you can freeze this chicken fajitas bowl for up to 3 months. Ensure you use an air-tight meal prep container.
Is this recipe healthy?
It’s high in protein and features bell peppers and avocados, whilst eliminating the tortillas. It has plenty of healthy ingredients. Can it help you achieve weight loss? Well, that depends on your meal plan and whether you hit a caloric deficit.
Why keep it low carb?
Although there’s nothing wrong with tortillas, and if anything they are light compared to other breads, it’s a good recipe if you’re on a specific low-carb diet like keto.
Enjoy this fresh and tasty low-carb chicken fajitas bowl with melted cheese, avocado and lime. This tastes absolutely delicious in the hot summer months and is a great meal prep for the week-ahead. Ideal for low-carb, keto, low-calorie and healthy diets. Or you can prep this recipe to save time on weeknights!
- 500g chicken thighs
- 1x red bell pepper, sliced
- 1x green bell pepper, sliced
- 1x onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- lime wedges
- grated cheese
- Marinate the chicken thighs with the fajita seasoning and olive oil. Either add to a zip lock bag or mixing bowl, keep refrigerated for at least 4 hours.
- Cook the chicken thighs – use your preferred method and ensure it’s well cooked.
- Cook the bell pepper and onion – fry in griddle pan for best results.
- Once the chicken is cooked, slice into pieces.
- Combine the chicken, bell peppers and onions.
- Serve with lime, avocado and cheese, or meal prep for the week-ahead.
- Reheat within 3-4 days or freeze up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 354
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 894 mg
- Fat: 22 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 33 g
- Cholesterol: 156 mg
Keywords: low-carb chicken fajitas, low-calorie chicken fajitas, keto chicken fajitas, keto chicken meal prep