Low-Carb Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 1.43 lb Chicken Thighs
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Lime
- 1 Avocado
- 1 tbsp Cheese Grated
- Marinate the chicken thighs with the fajita seasoning and olive oil. Either add to a zip lock bag or mixing bowl, keep refrigerated for at least 4 hours.
- Cook the chicken thighs - use your preferred method and ensure it's well cooked.
- Cook the bell pepper and onion - fry in griddle pan for best results.
- Once the chicken is cooked, slice into pieces.
- Combine the chicken, bell peppers and onions.
- Serve with lime, avocado and cheese, or meal prep for the week-ahead.
- Reheat within 3-4 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Enjoy this fresh and tasty low-carb chicken fajitas bowl with melted cheese, avocado, and lime.
This tastes absolutely delicious in the hot summer months and is a great meal prep recipe for the week ahead. Ideal if you want a light or healthy low-carb meal.
Alternatively, you can prep this to save time on weeknights!
What are low carb chicken fajitas?
Low-carb chicken fajitas is simply a way to eliminate the tortilla to keep it low-carb and keto-friendly. There’s plenty of flavor in this chicken fajitas bowl which is perfect for meal prep as you can eat this for lunch at work or reheat for a quick dinner.
Although there’s nothing wrong with carbs like tortillas or wraps, it can be a clever way to meal prep these recipes and turn them into high protein salads. If you happen to be on a low-carb diet, these recipes can help you with your meal plan and keep you feeling full.
This recipe is quick and easy, just follow the instructions below, and you will love this, especially during the hot summer months.
Recipe ingredients & substitutions
- Chicken Thighs: As this is a low-carb recipe, which also is good for the keto diet, the best chicken is thighs which have more fat and is the tastiest. You can use chicken breasts which are leaner but will require more freshly squeezed lime when served. If you’re looking for a plant-based substitution, you could opt for tofu.
- Fajita Seasoning & Marinade: If you regularly cook chicken fajitas, you can buy a seasoning blend, however the recipe card at the bottom of this page lists how to make your own fajitas seasoning at home. Extra virgin olive oil and lime are also included in the marinade.
- Bell Peppers: These are super healthy and smell amazing when grilled. They also help you feel full which is great for low-carb recipes because it’s packed with fiber and various vitamins. This recipe also uses grilled onions which help with flavor and the perfect aroma.
- Avocado: Serve fresh avocado with this low-carb chicken fajita bowl, and it can help you feel full.
- Cheese: It’s fine to add plenty of cheese, especially if you’re on a low-carb or keto diet.
- Lime: Use plenty of it for the marinade and keep it aside to squeeze over when you reheat this fajita bowl.
- What to serve with low-carb chicken fajitas? To keep it low-carb and keto-friendly, you can serve it with cauliflower rice or low-carb tortillas. You can also add plenty of cheese and avocado.
- Keep the chicken marinated for at least 4 hours.
- Need a plant-based version? No problem, you can use tofu but ensure you squeeze and drain it, make it dry as possible, and fry or bake it.
Hey, I’m Mani and I started Spicy Meal Prep to help you prepare and cook healthy meals that have an extra kick of flavor! Whether you’re a busy worker looking to save time or a fitness enthusiast looking for meal planning inspiration, you will find recipes and cooking tips here to help you thrive in the kitchen!