Pancakes made from coconut flour might just be my new favourite breakfast recipe. These are low-carb and high in protein which tastes just like an ordinary pancake but more pleasant to record in your meal planner app.
The good news is that this recipe is also ideal for meal prep which you can store in your fridge for most of the week and reheat in the mornings. All you need to do is just add a nut butter or fresh fruit.
This is a real time saver and is worth the extra effort on Sundays when I prep a huge batch for the week.
Why use coconut flour?
Coconut flour is simply ground coconut which can be a great replacement for wheat flour in baking recipes.
It is gluten-free, high in protein, rich in fibre, good for digestion and blood sugar stability.
However, it is important to note that coconut flour is very different to wheat flour which does not require equal measurements a direct substitute. Instead use 1:4 ratio as a replacement for wheat flour.
How to make pancakes with coconut flour
Coconut Flour: This is what makes the pancakes low-carb but replacing coconut flour for plain flour. It is important to use the exact measurement on the recipe card below as this is not a flour that you replace exactly.
Eggs: Key for the mixture.
Baking Powder: Helps make them fluffy.
Greek Yogurt: Or plain yogurt, also helps them fluffy and is a substitute for milk.
Vanilla Extract: For flavouring.
Sweetener: You can use honey, maple syrup or if you want to keep this low-carb use stevia or a low-carb sweetener.
- You do not need a high speed blender for these ingredients because whisking in a bowl is enough to make the pancake batter as the coconut flour is thick.
- I used coconut oil to fry the pancakes. It is important to note, that you should cook these pancakes on medium heat.
How to Meal prep these pancakes
You can reheat these coconut flour pancakes which makes them ideal for meal prep and cooking a large batch.
I have tested this out and they were good for 3-4 days in the refrigerator which makes it an ideal quick breakfast before work.
Simply reheat in the microwave for 1 minute and add your favourite nut butters or fruit. Or top up with maple syrup.
Coconut flour pancake calories
I made five coconut flour pancakes and each individual pancake was 87 calories. Realistically, this recipe is enough for two servings as they are filling.
Frequently asked questions
How to make coconut flour pancakes fluffy?
Greek yogurt or plain yogurt really helps make them light and fluffy. Also using baking powder will help it rise.
Low Carb Coconut Flour Pancakes
- 35 g Coconut Flour
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch Salt
- 1 tbsp Honey
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk to make the pancake batter.
- Pre-heat your frying pan on medium heat and add your preferred oil or butter.
- Ensure the heat remains on medium throughout.
- Add two tsp of the pancake batter to form a pancake. Cook each side for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with your favourite fruits or nut butters.
- For meal prep, you can refrigerate these pancakes up to 3-4 days.
Hey, I’m Mani and I started Spicy Meal Prep to help you prepare and cook healthy meals that have an extra kick of flavor! Whether you’re a busy worker looking to save time or a fitness enthusiast looking for meal planning inspiration, you will find recipes and cooking tips here to help you thrive in the kitchen!