Pav bhaji is an Indian street food classic but here is a low-carb variation which replaces the mashed potato with mashed cauliflower!
So, you are probably wondering how can it be low-carb or why would you want to mess around with a classic?
This recipe should just be called “spicy mashed cauliflower” because that is essentially what it is.
I blended cauliflower florets in a food processor, which is often referred to cauliflower rice, which is the replacement for the potato. The rest of the recipe remains the same.
The reason why I uploaded this recipe was because I have been experimenting with cauliflower rice and feel the only way to make it taste good is with spices and tomatoes.
I sometimes look for ways to substitute carbs and here was the ideal opportunity. It did taste very spicy but the taste was unbelievable and you would never think this was just made from cauliflower.
Is this pav bhaji good for keto diets?
Although this is a low-carb recipe, you will need to alter this for a keto diet by adding more fat such as butters, nuts and oils, and slightly reducing the peas, tomatoes, and peppers.
Low-Carb Pav Bhaji
- 500 g Cauliflower
- 200 g Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/2 Red Onion finely chopped
- 150 g Red Bell Pepper finely chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic and Ginger Paste
- 2 tsp Pav Bhaji Masala
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Fenugreek
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Peas
- Chopped Cilantro
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Lemon or Lime
- Add the cauliflower florets to a food processor or high speed blender, and blitz until it looks like rice.
- Add tomatoes, butter, blended cauliflower, bell peppers, peas, salt. Then add water. Use masher to turn into smooth texture.
- Add seasoning: 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp pav bhaji masala, fenugreek, chopped cilantro. Mix for cook for 2 minutes.
- Create circle, add butter, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/2 tsp pav bhaji masala, garlic and ginger paste and 1/2 tsp fenugreek, 1/2 red onion. Mix for another few minutes.
- Add water and mash again.
- Finish off with lemon juice and salt and black pepper seasoning.
- Refrigerate up to 3-4 days. Reheat for 1 minute in microwave.
Hey, I’m Mani and I started Spicy Meal Prep to help you prepare and cook healthy meals that have an extra kick of flavor! Whether you’re a busy worker looking to save time or a fitness enthusiast looking for meal planning inspiration, you will find recipes and cooking tips here to help you thrive in the kitchen!