This chicken burrito bowl meal prep is a healthier alternative to the take out burrito and is guilt-free. It is macro friendly, cheap and high in protein. You can eat this hot or cold during your lunch break at work. Wondering how to keep the guacamole fresh? I got you covered.
How to make a chicken burrito bowl?
Here is a naked version of a chicken burrito which is specifically made for a healthy meal prep to keep the calories low.Print
The meal prep chicken burrito bowl is a healthier alternative to the take out burrito. It is macro friendly, cheap and high in protein. You can eat this hot or cold during your lunch break at work.
- 300g Chicken Breasts
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Taco Seasoning (see notes)
- Avocado or Guacamole (see notes)
- 115g Black Beans
- 1 Can Sweet Corn
- 1 Large Tomato (finely, chopped)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper
- Cooked Rice
- Ensure you flatten your chicken breast before seasoning. In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken breast and taco seasoning.
- On a medium-high heated pan, add olive oil and your chicken breasts. Cook each side for 5-8 minutes (or once it reaches the ideal internal tempreature). Once cooled down, slice your chicken breasts into thin stripes.
- Pan-roast the sliced bell peppers in olive oil over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, or until skins start to blister.
- Add the remaining ingredients: cooked rice, black beans, sweet corn, avocado and tomatoes to your meal prep box..
- Refrigerate and consume within 3-4 days
- To keep the guacamole fresh: add lime juice, cover with a plastic wrap and store in air-tight container.
- To make your own taco seasoning, mix together: 1 tbsp Olive Oil, 1 tbsp Chilli Powder, 1/2 tbsp Paprika, 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes, 1 tbsp Ground Cumin, 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano, 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder, 1/2 tsp Onion Powder, 1/2 tsp Salt & 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- To make your own guacamole, mix together: 3 Ripe Acocados, 1 Lime (juiced), 1 tbsp Coriander (finely chopped), 1/4 tsp Salt, 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 332 kcal
- Sodium: 120.3 mg
- Fat: 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.1 g
- Fiber: 9.9 g
- Protein: 25.9 g
Keywords: meal prep chicken burrito bowl
1) Main ingredients
Chicken Breast: Ideal for slicing into stripes and keeping this meal healthy
Taco seasoning: You could use either a store-bought version or make your own. The good news is that it is easy to make your own taco seasoning at home. Here are the ingredients you will need to make your own taco seasoning powder:
- 1 tbsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
Avocado: You can use fresh avocado slices or make a guacamole with lime and coriander.
Rice: You can leave the rice out if you want to keep this low-carb and it will still taste good.
- Cooked the seasoned chicken and cut into thin strips.
- Pan roast or fry the sliced bell peppers.
- Add the cooked rice, black beans and sweet corn to your meal prep container, with the chicken and bell peppers.
- If you are going to prep this chicken burrito bowl, use fresh avocado on the day.
3) Meal prep tips
How to store: This will be fine to store in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days, but do ensure your ingredients are fresh. I would not recommend freezing this recipe.
How to reheat: If you have cooked this with rice, you will need to reheat this burrito bowl for 2 minutes and ensure the chicken breasts are piping hot. If you have not used rice, you can eat this burrito bowl cold and the chicken breasts will taste better this way.
What is a naked burrito bowl?
Chicken burrito bowls are lower in calories and are considered to be more healthier compared to the traditional or fast food style burrito which is because there are no wraps and you have the option to also eliminate the rice.
For example, if you order a medium burrito from Tortilla, their medium wrap and Mexican rice is 359.4 calories alone.
However, this does not mean you should avoid rice or a flat bread because it is just a strategic move to eliminate calorie dense foods to free up space within your daily caloric intake goal.
It also means you can eat this burrito bowl regularly and prep it for your lunch at work which can help you “enjoy eating without worrying” which is a huge win.
How to keep Guacamole fresh?
If you want to prep the guacamole for this chicken burrito bowl, it can be done two ways: purchase a store bought version or you can try a proven hack.
If you have always been wary of using guacamole for a meal prep but it is usually fine up to three days (four, if you are pushing it).
So, how do you store guacamole for meal prep without it going brown?
The key is acidity and air-tight containers to prevent oxidation.
If you go to your local supermarket and read the ingredients on a packed guacamole, you will see similar ingredients to the below product which I saw at ASDA.
The term, “acid and acidity”, is regularly mentioned.
They use plenty of it to keep it “looking fresh”.
You can use it for your meal prep and not worry about squeezing in any more lime, but that is if you are okay with those ingredients.
Also you can use a plastic wrap to cover the guacamole and this works fantastically well, so you should give this a go.
If you are going to meal prep a DIY guacamole, store in an air-tight container, add lime juice and aim to consume it within three days.
However, if you are making guacamole fresh minutes before you eat your meal, do not bother with lime juice at all, as this post points out.