In this recipe post, I will show you how to make the Nandos Butterfly Chicken Burger at home which can be an amazing fakeaway on any weeknight.
Although Nando’s is renowned for spicy peri-peri chicken, their menu has some very interesting meat-free options too, which is why it is the go-to restaurant for friends and family, which is also relatively budget-friendly too.
Nevertheless, I am sure you are here because you want to make spicy peri-peri chicken at home, and I will show you how.
What is Nandos Buttery Chicken Burger?
As described by Nandos, the butterfly burger is “two succulent chicken breasts joined by crispy skin, packed in a Portuguese roll and topped with tomato and lettuce”. In other words, it is an epic spicy burger!
To make this at home, you can either choose the shortcut method or go all in for the long route, which ultimately depends on your preference and availability of the ingredients.
If you want to closely match what you eat in the Nando’s restaurant, and essentially create your own Nando’s copycat burger, the good news is that you can purchase their marinades from UK supermarkets, which can help you save time too.
If your local supermarket does not sell Nando’s marinade, or if you do not want to use a store-bought peri-peri marinade, I have the recipe in this post, which you can blend in a food processor and make your spicy burger taste so unbelievably fresh!
Either way, it is perfect for BBQ season and cooking on the grill, but you can also use this recipe to cook the chicken breasts in the oven or on a griddle pan.
Chicken Breasts: As we are using chicken breasts, you would ideally want it tender and juicy as possible, which can be achieved by following a simple process. To ensure it is evenly cooked, you can either use a meat hammer to flatten the chicken breasts, or you can slice the chicken breast to create a butterfly shape. When your chicken breast is flat, it reduces the cooking time, and therefore limits the chances of drying it out. Furthermore, for best results, aim to marinate your chicken and let it set overnight, and it will taste so good.
Peri-Peri Marinade: It may sound controversial for a food blog to advise you to just purchase a Nando’s marinade from the supermarket, but if you want to closely replicate what you eat in the restaurants, that is what I would do.
However, if you have time, and have most of these ingredients below stored at home, you seriously need to try out this homemade peri peri sauce which is just like Nandos marinade.
It is so good that I secretly dip chopped pitta bread in there to get the taste.
With either marinade, do try your best to allow the chicken breasts to marinate overnight in the refrigerator as this will generate the best taste.
Crusty Roll: To closely mimic the Portuguese roll in Nando’s, you can find fresh crusty rolls, in the bakery section, in most UK supermarkets.
Salads: Simply top up your burger with lettuce and tomato slices.
Spicy Mayo: For the burger sauce, you can use a variation of a mayo sauce, however this chicken burger does taste best with a spicy mayo. You cannot beat this awesome perinaise, however to make your own spicy mayonnaise, mix together:
- 1 tsp Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Sriracha Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
How To Make Nandos Copycat Butterfly Chicken Burger?
Ensure your chicken breast is flat: Either use a meat hammer to flatten the chicken breast, or use a knife to slice the chicken breast (not completely) to create the butterfly shape.
Marinate: In a large mixing bowl, apply the peri-peri marinade to the chicken breasts, and for the best results, refrigerate it overnight or for 8 hours.
Cook: For best results, cook the chicken on the BBQ grill or griddle pan. Ensure they are pre-heated because you ideally want to cook each side of the chicken breast for 5 minutes. If you are using an oven to cook the chicken breasts, pre-heat the oven for 10 minutes on 180c / 356f and cook the chicken breasts for 15 minutes, or until it reaches the ideal internal temperature on your meat. Half-way through cooking, re-apply some of leftover marinade.
Why this griddle pan is perfect for this recipe?
The key to cooking these tasty Nando’s fakeaway recipes all year long is thanks to this griddle pan. During the pandemic, this thing has been a lifesaver. In all honestly, the oven is useless for this recipe, and it’s nowhere near as good as this griddle pan. If you love grilled food but cannot use a BBQ in the cold months, you should seriously use one of these. All you need to do is preheat this on high heat and cook the chicken breasts for around 12 minutes.
Assemble: Add the chicken breast to your roll, top up with lettuce and tomatoes, and your sauce.
How to store and reheat this chicken burger?
You can use this recipe to prep your chicken breasts for the week ahead because they go great with salads and sweet potatoes. Alternatively, you can reheat the chicken breast and make a burger within minutes which is very convenient on a weeknight. Ensure it is refrigerated for 3-4 days, or freeze it up to 2 months, and when you reheat, ensure it is piping hot throughout.
Is the butterfly chicken burger healthy?
On a general balanced diet, this burger is fine to eat and you can easily fit it in your meal plan once a week, even if you are on a weight loss plan.
When you go Nandos, you would usually order chips on the side, and a fizzy drink, which ends up being a high-calorie meal.
If you can control the overall portion of the meal, the burger can be a great lunch or dinner recipe.
You could eliminate the roll and add the peri-peri chicken breast to a salad which will reduce the calories and carbohydrates too.
Why you will love this recipe?
- Fakeaway Friday: Follow this recipe and it really is just like eating a Nando’s burger at home. It can be a good way to save money and manage your calories.
- Spicy Prep: Use this recipe to prep spicy chicken which you can add to salads, rice, quinoa, or sweet potatoes. It can be a naked recipe simile to how I prep this burger salad or burrito bowl. It is a good way to enjoy a high protein meal with vegetables or grains.
- Fresh Peri-Peri Sauce: If you are going to make your own peri-peri sauce, I can ensure you will not regret it because it will be the next level chicken that you will taste.
Related Fakeaway Recipes
If you love this Nando’s fakeaway recipe, you should also check out these recipes below:
- Peri Peri Chicken Thighs Recipe made with this homemade peri-peri sauce.
- Spicy Rice Nando’s Fakeaway Recipe
I often use these recipes for my weekly meal prep which you can make healthy and macro-friendly by controlling the portions of chicken and rice.
Want to make these recipes below? Get some meal prep containers and use these fakeaway recipes!
Nandos Fakeaway Butterfly Chicken Burger
- Ensure your chicken breast is flat: Either use a meat hammer to flatten the chicken breast, or use a knife to slice the chicken breast (not completely) to create the butterfly shape.
- Marinate: In a large mixing bowl, apply the peri-peri marinade to the chicken breasts, and for the best results, refrigerate it overnight or for 8 hours.
- Cook: For best results, cook the chicken on the BBQ grill or griddle pan. Ensure they are pre-heated because you ideally want to cook each side of the chicken breast for 5 minutes. If you are using an oven to cook the chicken breasts, pre-heat the oven for 10 minutes on 180c / 356f and cook the chicken breasts for 15 minutes, or until it reaches the ideal internal temperature on your meat. Half-way through cooking, re-apply some of leftover marinade.
- Assemble: Add the chicken breast to your roll, top up with lettuce and tomatoes, and your sauce.
- Griddle Pan - Best for cooking peri-peri chicken indoors and all year long.
Hey, I’m Mani and I started Spicy Meal Prep to help you prepare and cook healthy meals that have an extra kick of flavor! Whether you’re a busy worker looking to save time or a fitness enthusiast looking for meal planning inspiration, you will find recipes and cooking tips here to help you thrive in the kitchen!