Here I will show you how to make your own peri peri sauce. This recipe is just like Nando’s marinade which you can use for tasty and juicy grilled chicken.
Simply add all the ingredients to a food processor and keep it stored in the refrigerator. You can marinate chicken breasts, thighs or wings. Trust me, it will taste unbelievable fresh, spicy and juicy.
What is peri peri sauce?
Peri peri sauce is a traditional African-style chili sauce which is the perfect marinade for grilled chicken and seafood. It’s made from African bird’s eye chilies and a combination of other ingredients. In Portuguese, it is referred to “piri piri sauce”, but otherwise it is known as “peri peri sauce”. You might already be familiar with Nando’s and their branded sauces, so here is a homemade version which is similar but tastes so fresh and is perfect for the BBQ season.
How to make peri peri sauce?
There are variations to the peri peri sauce recipe because it can depend on the ingredients which are available to you. This recipe tries to keep it mostly traditional but also easy and quick.
- Red Chillies: Peri peri sauce is traditionally made from African bird’s eye chilies, but you can also use regular red chillies or red chilli pepper. You will need to roughly chop these. I used 8 bird’s eye chilies for this recipe which is a nice balance.
- Red Bell Peppers: This is optional but I add chopped red bell peppers to this sauce which gives it a nice flavor.
- Red Onion and Garlic: Again for flavor, red onion and minced garlic is a great addition to this sauce.
- Spice Mix: I use a combination of paprika and cayenne pepper powder.
- Mixed Herbs: I used mixed herbs seasoning, as well as adding freshly chopped cilantro.
- Lemon: Use the juice and zest from a lemon for essential flavor.
- Vegetable Oil: You could also use extra virgin olive oil.
- Red Wine Vinegar: This is optional but using vinegar is a great ingredient for tenderizing chicken and it works well with peri peri sauce.
You simply add all these to a high speed blender or food processor. I used a nutribullet and this was done in under a minute. I then warm up the sauce in a small saucepan and allow it to cool down before I keep it stored in the fridge.
Keep this stored in an air-tight mason jar for best results.
- How long can you keep homemade peri peri sauce in the fridge? I would say roughly around 3-4 weeks, or even longer. As I’ve used red wine vinegar, this will last for longer and keep well in the fridge.
How to use peri peri sauce?
This is a fantastic sauce and marinade for grilled chicken recipes. If you love Nando’s, you can make your own version, a fakeaway, at home with chicken breasts, thighs or wings by using your griddle pan or cooking them on the BBQ. It seriously makes the chicken super tender, juicy and spicy.
Here are some recipes which uses the peri-peri sauce:Print
Here I will show you how to make your own peri peri sauce. This recipe is just like Nando’s marinade which you can use for tasty and juicy grilled chicken. Simply add all the ingredients to a food processor and keep it stored in the refrigerator. You can marinade chicken breasts, thighs or wings. Trust me, it will taste unbelievable fresh, spicy and juicy.
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 8 small red African Birds Eye Chilies, roughly chopped
- 1 large red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Add all the ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor.
- Blend for 1 minutes.
- Add to a saucepan on medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Allow the sauce to cool down.
- Store in an air-tight container.
- Store in refrigerator for 7-10 days.
- If you cannot get hold of African Birds Eye Chilies, substitute them with regular red bird eye chilies or use four red chili peppers.
- Use red wine vinegar to preserve this sauce for longer.
- Use a small mason jar to keep this stored properly.
Keywords: Peri Peri Sauce, Peri Peri Marinade, Nando’s Sauce Recipe, Nando’s Marinade Recipe, Nando’s Fakeaway, Hot Sauce Recipe