Here is a real simple tofu fried rice recipe that you can cook on the weekend and use the leftovers for your meal prep.
Although it takes an hour to cook, it is still an easy recipe for dinner which is also ideal for vegans and vegetarians who love spicy food. If you are wondering what to eat with tofu, combining it with fried rice is very tasty and remains healthy.
I also have a spicy marinade for the tofu which gives it a kick. Do not forget to garnish with sriracha sauce!
What is Spicy tofu fried rice?
Tofu fried rice is a delicious and well balanced one-pot recipe that is ideal for a large batch cook which can help you create plenty of meals for the week ahead.
Although fried rice does not sound healthy and you may associate it with takeaway meals, it is actually relatively healthy because it depends on the ingredients, marinades, and cooking oils you use.
Rest assured, this variation of the fried rice recipe is healthy and macro-friendly providing you are following a balanced diet and regularly stay active.
Personally, my favourite variation is the egg fried rice, which I can eat all day but this recipe is giving it a run for its money because I feel there is more flavour and it keeps me full.
Tofu can be a useful and versatile ingredient, providing you buy an organic version, and by adding this to your rice will enable you to utilize an amazing marinade of soy sauce and chilli flakes, which not only smells amazing but tastes better than your takeaway meal.
The main reason why this is a great meal prep recipe is because the combination of the rice and tofu soaks up the spicy marinade which means by day two or three, it will taste even better.
This is why one-pot recipes, with spicy marinades, are generally fantastic for meal prepping because you will benefit from the tastes and flavours.
Typically, I prefer to use basmati or a bowl of long-grain rice for a fried rice recipe because it generates much better results.
Is this recipe suitable for vegans?
For the marinade in this recipe, I added honey for sweetness, so depending on your view, it might not be completely vegan-friendly.
These are all fine to use for your marinade because it is just to add a touch of sweetness to complement the soy sauce and chilli flakes.
Aside from honey, this is a good vegan meal prep because it is a source of plant protein, and it is also a great recipe if you are vegetarian and non-vegetarian.
Is the fried rice safe to reheat?
As mentioned in this post, rice is safe to reheat it but it is absolutely essential to store it correctly by following the two-hour rule and ensuring it is safely prepped for the week ahead.
From experience, and using this recipe regularly for lunches, this is safe to reheat up to four days.
Is there a Low-Carb alternative?
For my keto friends out there, tofu remains a debatable ingredient and it depends on your view whether you would like to substitute rice for cauliflower rice.
However, if you are generally looking for a low-carb alternative then cauliflower rice works well with this recipe because it still soaks up the marinade.
The tofu fried rice meal prep recipe, which I find myself making on a regular occasion, is easy to make and keep in your food container.
I like to use variations to this recipe too and add an egg with the rice or maybe pieces of chicken for extra protein.
However, this is generally vegetarian and vegan-friendly which I am sure you will fall in love with.Print
Here is a real simple tofu fried rice recipe which you can cook on the weekend and use the leftovers for your meal prep.
Tofu, Grains and Vegetables
- 400g Tofu
- 1 cup Brown Rice
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sriracha Sauce (for garnish)
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Honey (for vegans use an alternative)
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger (or grated)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder (or minced)
- Lemon Juice (from half a lemon)
- Prepare the rice in advance by adding boiled water to your saucepan. Once the water is boiling, add your rice and stir.
- Allow it to cook in the background for 20 to 25 minutes. Add it back to your saucepan and cover until your are ready to combine the tofu.
Tofu + Marinade
- Ensure the tofu is fully drained and pressed.
- Dice the tofu into smaller cubes (1/4 inch).
- Add olive oil to your frying pan or cast iron, on medium heat, and fry for 10-12 minutes.
- Once the tofu starts to look golden or when the texture feels crispier, remove from the frying pan or turn off the heat.
- To your mixing bowl add all the ingredients for the marinade sauce, followed by the tofu and stir to combine.
Combine Tofu and Rice
- Use the same frying pan or cast iron, and add the sliced red bell peppers and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and marinaded tofu, and stir.
- Cook on medium-high heat for 5 minutes and keep stirring.
- Garnish with sriracha sauce.
- For your meal prep, refrigerate up to three to four days.
- If you want to thicken up the tofu, add 1 tbsp of corn flour / corn starch.
- For vegans (and depending on your view with honey), replace honey with an alternative for sweetness.
- For variations, you can add more vegetables or replace the rice with cauliflower rice or quinoa.
Keywords: Tofu Fried Rice