This looks like chicken, right? It is actually tofu and here is my attempt of making a tofu katsu curry which is the vegetarian and vegan alternative to the mighty chicken katsu curry.
It tastes the same, if not better, which largely depends on the curry sauce. Also, the tofu has been coated in breadcrumbs and baked in the oven.
This recipe is a simplified version and can be easy to make, or prep for the week ahead. I can confirm this is a very tasty lunch idea for work or a healthy dinner option.
How to make tofu katsu curry
Organic Tofu: This is the key ingredient to replace the chicken. In fact, you can make tofu look exactly like chicken and this recipe is an example. By using breadcrumbs, you could not tell the difference and it will taste the same. You can also season the tofu with some curry powder for extra flavour.
Breadcrumbs: You can use fresh breadcrumbs or a store bought version.
Homemade Curry Sauce: Here is where the main flavour comes in and it is because of the curry sauce. Here is a quick and easy version which you can make at home, you will need:
- Garlic and Ginger Paste
- Curry Powder
- Maple Syrup
- Soy Sauce
- Plain Flour
- Water / Vegetable Stock
Water and Cornstarch: To keep this recipe vegan-friendly, you can use water and cornstarch to replace the egg for the binder.
How many calories in tofu katsu curry?
This was a meal prep recipe and I managed to make three portions from this exact recipe. According to MyFitnessPal and the ingredients I used, each portion of the tofu katsu curry with rice and salad is 400 calories (kcal).
I was very happy with this experiment because it is very macro-friendly and so tasty. Also, I prefer this over chicken and it was a nice change.Print
- 400g Organic Tofu (pressed, drained and cut into bite-sized chunks)
- 1 Cup Rice
- 1 Cup Breadcrumbs
- Leafy Salad
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch and 1/2 Cup Water (or use Eggs for the binder)
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 tbsp Garlic and Ginger Paste
- 2 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Plain Flour
- 300ml Water / Vegetable Stock
- Once the tofu has been chopped into bite-sized chunks, add it to the cornstarch and water, followed by the breadcrumbs, until all the tofu chunks are fully coated.
- Add olive oil to a large saucepan which is on high heat.
- Add tofu and fry for 8-10 minutes, until they are golden brown on all sides. Temporarily add to separate plate and paper towel.
- In the same saucepan, reduce the heat to medium-high, add the onion, garlic and ginger paste. Fry for 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, maple syrup, soy sauce and plain flour. Stir to combine.
- Add the water or vegetable stock. Use a hand blender to mix into a fine sauce. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice to your meal prep container, followed by the tofu chunks and sauce.
- Refrigerate up to 3-4 days.
- For best results, use a hand blender or high speed blender, to make the curry sauce.
- Nutritional information includes the rice and tofu katsu curry.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 1138 mg
- Fat: 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.6 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 24 g
Keywords: Tofu katsu curry, tofu katsu curry recipe, vegan tofu katsu curry